Low Level Laser Therapy
The Healing Power of Light
Harnessing the power of certain types of light can have amazingly therapeutic effects on the body. It might seem strange to think of something as simple as light being able to impact biological processes and induce healing mechanisms within our bodies, yet 100s of peer-reviewed clinical studies have shown that it is able to do just this. Clinical research investigating the medial application of light-emitting diodes (LEDs) have proven that certain wavelengths of light when applied to the body have a wide variety of benefits, from improving skin tone and complexion to reducing inflammation. Medical and cosmetic practices involving light therapies have come to be known by many names such as Low-Level Laser therapy (LLLT), Photobiomodulation, Cold Laser Therapy, and Red Light therapy.
The FDA has already approved light therapy for conditions such as pain, arthritis, and the reduction of wrinkles. In the near future, one can expect further FDA approval for many more conditions since there is such strong clinical evidence indicating LLLT’s abilities to increase immunity, repair tissue, fight aging, improve joint health, and more. Emerald Wellness Clinic is proud to provide a wide variety of Low-Level Laser Therapies for both medical and cosmetic applications. We are strong believers in the healing power of light because we have seen first-hand it’s amazing health benefits.
A powerful form of light therapy that is specifically designed to address acute and chronic pain conditions. Low energy lasers are directed deep into the affected area in order to stimulate healing and pain relief.
A Few Benefits of Light Therapy
1. Reduced Depression and Fatigue- light therapy has been shown to increase cognitive functioning, self-confidence, positivity, joyfulness, social awareness, conversation skills, improve energy levels, and sensory stimulation in many patients.
2. Anti-Aging Effects for Skin and Hair loss- Patients treated with LLLT experience significantly improved skin complexion, tone, and texture, with reduced signs of winkles and fine lines due to increased collagen density as measured through ultra-sonographic testing. For similar reasons LLLT has been shown to be effective in reversing hair loss and stimulating follicle growth.
3. Increased Immunity and Reduced Side Effects of Cancer treatments- clinical studies show that LLLT therapy has powerful immune system bolstering effects and can successfully reduce symptoms experienced by cancer patients, including painful side effects caused from radiation or chemotherapy
4. Improved Joint and Musculoskeletal Health- LLLT is excellent for treating arthritis symptoms and joint pain thanks to its ability to stimulate collagen production, rebuild cartilage, and reduce inflammation
How does Light Therapy work?
The human body needs light in order to function properly. Without sunlight, we would become seriously deficient in vitamin D and be plagued with a multitude of physiological and emotional health challenges. It is helpful to think of light as similar to the nutrients in whole foods, with each colour of light having its own unique effect on our bodies. Natural sunlight is a combination of the entire visible light spectrum (400-700 nanometers/nm) in addition to ultraviolet light/UV (300-400 nm) and infrared light (700-1000 nm). Most of us are aware of the potential health hazards of being exposed to too much sunlight due to damaging UV rays. However, research has shown that the human body has specific positive responses to light in the 600-900 nm wavelength range. The most therapeutic wavelengths being light in the mid-600 nm and mid 800 nm ranges as these wavelengths have been proven to provide the most optimal biological responses in humans. Essentially light energy at these special wavelengths are absorbed by the body and this stimulates adenosine triphosphate (ATP): the primary means of chemical energy transportation at the cellular level. The biological result of this being that cells which are receiving this rejuvenating, anti-aging energy boost are able to perform their natural functions at a heightened level. If your cells are operating at their best then so are you.
More Light Therapy Benefits and Conditions Treated
- Treatment of Acne, Rosacea
- Enhanced muscle recovery and athletic performance
- increased circulation
- Faster Healing of wounds and injuries
- Reduced joint pain, inflammation, and arthritis
- Activates the lymphatic system for improved immunity
- Forms new Capillaries (small bloos vessels)
- Lowers effects of oxidative stress
- Improves digestive health
- Alleviates Anxiety and Depression
- Pain relief from various syndromes
- Increases testosterone in males
- Improves bone density
- reduces candida infections
- Aids with Alzheimers'
- treats neuropathy
- treats lower back pain
- carpel tunnel syndrome
- Autoimmune conditions
Types of Light Therapies
There are numerous light therapy devices on the market which differ drastically in terms of application and effectiveness. Although low level laser therapy is considered perfectly safe when administered by a trained medical professional one should be wary of purchasing therapies and devices which are not endorsed by reputable science and medical safety standards. There are far too many devices out there which range from being simply ineffective to actually being dangerous. At Emerald Wellness Integrative Health Clinic we pride ourselves in offering the most effective and well researched light therapies in the medical industry, as well as having the knowledge of which light devices will be most applicable to your medical or cosmetic needs. Our medical doctors have a strong passion for light healing modalities and consistently attend international medical conferences regarding LLLT in order to provide our patients with the most optimal care. Our medical Director is a member and regular attendee of several international and reputable medical laser and cosmetic societies in the world.